Guidelines for home to school transport
Last review date: 9th July 2020
It is our policy to build a positive relationship with both student and parent with good communication at the heart of what we do.
Journeys are made more pleasant engaging in conversation, playing music and game playing.
A2B Contract Cars Ltd are only required to provide transport within the details of the contract issued by Essex County Council. No deviation from this instruction should take place. Below is a list of requirements as per contract.
- No stopping on route for fuel or any other reason. Ensure your fuel tank is adequate for the journey.
- No diversion on route except to avoid heavy traffic.
- No providing confectionery, food or drink without prior written permission of the parent/carer.
- No other persons should travel in the vehicle other than the ones specified within the contract.
- No other addresses should be used as a collection/drop off unless instructed by A2B Contract Cars Ltd. instructions regarding destination/drop off are not to be taken from a service user, in the event of clarity being needed please contact a member of A2B admin staff at first instance.
- Any delays to the transport times should be notified to the parent/carer as well as to A2B Contract Cars Ltd.
- No communication with the service user outside transport should take place.
- No smoking whilst in the company of a student or on school premises or in your vehicle.
- In the event of a break down, during transport, please notify A2B Contract Cars Ltd so that another form of transport can be arranged for the students. All students to remain in the vehicle unless it is unsafe to do so, in this instance you must always guide the students to a safer place and remain with them .
- If a parent/carer is not present at the point of drop off, you are to contact the parent and A2B Contract Cars Ltd and wait for fifteen minutes. If there are other students still within the vehicle, they should be dropped off first, where possible, the driver is then to return to the original destination and once again attempt to deliver the student to an appropriate approved adult. The last resort would be to return the student to their school or to the local police station in the event that nobody is available at the school.
- Maximum waiting time when collecting in the mornings is 5 minutes at each address. This is to avoid being late to school and in line with county’s guidelines.
- No student is to enter another student’s property.
- Do not leave students unattended at any time.
- All primary school students to be collected/dropped from the school reception.
- Acknowledgement from the parent/carer that the student is under adult supervision is required before driving away from the property or destination.
- If the driver is given medication for any student, it is to be kept away from all students during transport and only given to a teacher, parent, or carer.
- Student possessions to be kept to a minimum within the seating area, preferably stowed away from all students within the boot of the vehicle.
- No mobile phones to be used whilst transporting students without the use of hands-free. No person is to make audio recording or take pictures.
- If any inappropriate behaviour is experienced during transport, the driver is to pull over in a safe place and contact the school, the parent, and A2B Contract Cars Ltd. If serious misbehaviour occurs, our last resort is to take the student to a police station.
- Vehicles should be kept clean inside and out, free from litter and unnecessary personal belongings.
- Drivers should report unmanageable behaviour of students to A2B Contract Cars Ltd as soon as possible to avoid it escalating. A2B Contract Cars Ltd will then talk to parents, the school and the relevant county’s transport department in order to remedy the bad behaviour.
The law regarding child car seats within Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles
- All children aged 3 years and above travelling in the FRONT seat of a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle must use the correct child seat/restraint until they are either 12 years old or 135cm tall
- The above rule also applies to the rear of a vehicle under normal circumstances, but, if a child seat is not available, children aged 3 years or older can travel in the rear of a Hackney carriage or Private Hire vehicle wearing only the adult seat belt
A2B Contract Cars Ltd – Employed drivers only
- Company vehicles are only to be used for contract work only. Under certain circumstances prior permission is required for any other use, and if given it is the users responsibility to ensure that any fuel used in this way is replaced from their own funds, and a copy of a fuel receipt must be forwarded to the transport manager.
- It is the driver’s responsibility to carry out weekly vehicle checks (see separate document provided by the company) to ensure said vehicles roadworthiness, and defects or damage is to be reported to the transport manager immediately.
- It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that the interior of the vehicle is kept clean and litter free at all times, failure to comply with this request will trigger our disciplinary procedure.
- In the event that you arrive at a students address to collect them in the morning and are informed by a parent/carer that they are not travelling on that day, you must in the first instance report this to a member of the office staff at A2B Contract Cars Ltd., failure to do so may trigger the company’s disciplinary procedure.
- Drivers must notify A2B Contract Cars Ltd if they have any pending prosecutions for driving convictions or any other convictions .